Is there a minimum amount of exercise to remain fit?

Obi Obadike
Fitness
The minimum amount of exercise to remain fit at an average fitness level I would say is at least three times a week. And that exercise should consist of three days of cardio for 30 minutes each a day and three times a week weight-lifting with 30 to 35 minutes a day for that as well. And I would space this out to Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I would do weight-training first because if you do cardio first you may not have the energy left to weight-train.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
High intensity, low volume exercise may work. In this video, Robin Miller, MD, reports on a Norwegian study where short bursts of exercise helped increase oxygen in-take and lowered cholesterol and body fat.

Continue Learning about Fitness

An Easier Physical Activity Option That Still Works
Don't have the time (or the energy) for that 60-minute, high-intensity power walk? Fine. Do a mini version. It can still produce some pretty impressiv...
Are classes through the Parks and Recreation Department expensive?
The program offerings from the Parks and Recreation Department are usually a fraction of the cost of...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
Relax Your Mind for an Easier Workout
Relax Your Mind for an Easier Workout