Q

Fitness

How does my weight affect the number of calories I burn?

• A , Geriatric Medicine, answered
    Your current body size affects the number of calories you will need for a given activity, as well as the type and duration of exercise that you do. For example, a 150-pound person doing aerobics for 15 minutes will burn about 100 calories. This same activity for someone who weighs 200 pounds will burn 135 calories. At 100 pounds, you can expect to use about 70 calories for this same exercise.

Brisk walking for 15 minutes will use about 50 calories if you weigh 100 pounds, 75 calories if you weigh 150 pounds, and 100 calories if you weigh 200 pounds. Golfing without using a cart for 3 hours will use about 500 calories if you weigh 100 pounds, about 800 calories if you weigh 150 pounds, and over 1,000 calories if you weigh 200 pounds.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What is muscle fitness?