How does my weight affect the number of calories I burn?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Your current body size affects the number of calories you will need for a given activity, as well as the type and duration of exercise that you do. For example, a 150-pound person doing aerobics for 15 minutes will burn about 100 calories. This same activity for someone who weighs 200 pounds will burn 135 calories. At 100 pounds, you can expect to use about 70 calories for this same exercise.

Brisk walking for 15 minutes will use about 50 calories if you weigh 100 pounds, 75 calories if you weigh 150 pounds, and 100 calories if you weigh 200 pounds. Golfing without using a cart for 3 hours will use about 500 calories if you weigh 100 pounds, about 800 calories if you weigh 150 pounds, and over 1,000 calories if you weigh 200 pounds.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Fitness

5 Benefits of Having a Fitness Community
Too many people who begin exercising fall out of the habit within the first six months—even after a health crisis. After heart surgery, for example, e...
Will weight training give me big muscles if I am a woman?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Most of the women I know (from my practice, sitting in TV audiences, and the scores that I meet as I...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
The 7-Minute Regimen Workout You Need to Try