How is physical activity related to health?

Researchers have established that regular physical activity can improve health by:
Helping to control weight, Maintaining healthy bones, muscles, and joints,  Reducing the risk of developing high blood pressure and diabetes, Promoting psychological well-being,  Reducing the risk of death from heart disease and Reducing the risk of premature death.
In addition to these health benefits, researchers are learning that physical activity can also affect the risk of cancer. There is convincing evidence that physical activity is associated with a reduced risk of cancers of the colon and breast. Several studies also have reported links between physical activity and a reduced risk of cancers of the prostate, lung, and lining of the uterus (endometrial cancer). Despite these health benefits, recent studies have shown that more than 50 percent of Americans do not engage in enough regular physical activity.
This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Physical inactivity is one of the greatest health threats facing our country today – the only risk factor for chronic disease affecting 95% of adults.  Substantial scientific and clinical evidence suggests that physical activity can protect against the development of chronic disease.  According to the recent Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans (2008) it is recommended for adults to achieve 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity daily, and those under the age of 18 require 60 minutes of daily activity.

Regular physical activity promotes cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness, normal bodyweight and lowered percentage of body fat (thus directly lowering BMI).  Additionally, lower risks of chronic disease (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol) are also reported.  Several studies have also linked greater cognitive brain function (in adults) and better academic performance (in children) when achieving the minimum physical activity requirements daily.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Exercise to Get Smart
Exercise to Get Smart
Whenever I'm trying to figure out a solution to a particularly thorny problem, my first instinct is to go for a walk, hop on my bike, or take off on m...
Why do I get cramps in my fingers when I exercise?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
You may get cramps in your fingers when you exercise for a couple of reasons.First, have you been dr...
8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want
8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want
In the words of Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don't Get Fat, "Everything is a matter of balance." In other words, getting in great shape ...
Beat the Office Slump Workout
Beat the Office Slump Workout