How do I use a pedometer?

Many pedometers are different but most are very similar in setup:

• Find the appropriate place to set, usually on your hip
  • Estimate your stride length
  • Walk!

Some pedometers may allow you to input your height and weight. Others are very simple and will only calculate your steps walked. Either way be sure to put it to use and have fun!

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

To use a pedometer most accurately, you will typically need to calibrate your steps by walking 10 paces and measuring the distance, then entering that in. However, most pedometers will accurately count steps (even if the distance is a little off), and you can set your goal based on increasing your total step number each day. I suggest adding 100-200 steps per day until you reach the often recommended 10,000 steps per day.

Pedometers come in clip-on or slip in your pocket styles -- find one that works the best for your everyday clothing styles and wear it all day, every day, till you are consistently reaching your goal.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 minutes of this stuff a day can help keep your muscles young. We're talking about exercise. Yep, the timeless physique is just minutes away. ...
What type of group exercise class is best for me?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Exercise classes can be a fun way to exercise, relieve stress, and meet friends. But sometimes they ...
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
Work up a sweat for these major health benefits.
What Are the Benefits of Foam Rolling?
What Are the Benefits of Foam Rolling?