How can I exercise if I don't get around very well?

There are activities for everyone. Swimming or water aerobics are easy on your body, and there are chair exercises you can do sitting down. You can also try yoga or tai chi for no-impact exercise. Some of these activities require equipment (like a swimming pool), or some training (like yoga or tai chi), but others (like chair exercises) can be done anywhere at all with "equipment" you already have at home.

Try lifting cans of food while sitting in a chair watching television, or try waving around dishcloths while listening to music to increase your range of motion and your fitness. There are also books and videotapes on exercise available for people who have limited mobility. So look for ways to increase your activity despite your limitations. You will be glad you did.

There are many ways to exercise even if getting around is difficult. Aquatic exercises are a great way to build muscular strength and cardiovascular endurance. There are many exercises you can do in the comfort of your home and in a seated position. Rubber tubing can provide very little resistance and can be manipulated to do many exercises with little need to move around well.

Continue Learning about Fitness

When Should You Exercise?
When Should You Exercise?
Mark Wahlberg, Jennifer Aniston and The Rock all get up in the wee hours to do their daily exercise routine. And while plenty of research supports the...
As a Sharecare Transformer, how do you involve your family in exercise?
Jen McElroy - Sharecare TransformerJen McElroy - Sharecare Transformer
My husband and I have two dogs and we both know the benefits of walking the dogs so I usually sugges...
5 Exercise Secrets to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Secrets to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Secrets to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Secrets to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Secrets to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his tricks for calorie-burning success.
Kitchen Workout
Kitchen Workout