How can I buy a good pedometer?

Pedometers are used to measure the amount of steps taken in a given time and can calculate total walking distance by averaging stride length. These devices are helpful because they help guide you on activity levels during a time frame. The American Heart Association suggests people take 10,000 steps per day.  

There are basically two types of pedometers; mechanical and electrical. The mechanical pedometers are spring levered and move based on generated movement and forces, which occur during normal gait. The electrical pedometers use accelerometers to sense movement. The mechanical versions are much cheaper, however, are often much less reliable, especially when walking at slower speeds.  

More advanced pedometers have GPS capability or have recordable data, which can be downloaded into  a web-based program or software. These offer excellent data so that you can better track calories burned, steps taken, total distance, and speed. These higher-end  models are much more expensive than the basic electrical or mechanical models. You get what you pay for, so consider your goals, working budget and what information you seek, then decide, which is best for you.  

Continue Learning about Fitness

Increase Your Fitness, Reduce Your Risk for Serious Diseases
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have gotten the message, “Stand up, move, walk, play, get active,” congratulations! Back in 2011 the CD...
How do I return to health and fitness after time away?
Mr. Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerMr. Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
The best way to return to health and fitness after time away is in slow gradual progressions based o...
8 Easy Tips to Start Exercising—Even if You Hate Working Out
8 Easy Tips to Start Exercising—Even if You Hate Working Out 8 Easy Tips to Start Exercising—Even if You Hate Working Out 8 Easy Tips to Start Exercising—Even if You Hate Working Out 8 Easy Tips to Start Exercising—Even if You Hate Working Out
No experience? No problem. Here are some tricks to help you get moving. Exercise should be part of almost everyone’s weekly routine. It can help you ...
What Exercise Can I Do At Home to Strengthen My Back?