How do I get the most out of my pedometer?

The more accurate a pedometer is, the more you will benefit from it. All pedometers count steps, although they may use different methods to do so. These include (in general order of accuracy): piezo-electric accelerometers, a coiled spring mechanism, and a hairspring mechanism. Calibrating your step and/or stride length inputs in the device or using a GPS system will increase the accuracy of the device.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Meet Donovan Green
Meet Donovan Green
Meet celebrity fitness trainer Donovan Green, author of No Excuses Fitness, creator of the Chair Workout and our expert Fitness Group and Challenges L...
What is muscle fitness?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Muscle fitness comes from strength training and conditioning. In this video, Dr. Oz's personal train...
7 Low-Impact Workouts That Torch Major Calories
7 Low-Impact Workouts That Torch Major Calories7 Low-Impact Workouts That Torch Major Calories7 Low-Impact Workouts That Torch Major Calories7 Low-Impact Workouts That Torch Major Calories
Lose weight—and go easy on your joints—with these aerobic exercises.
Finish Your 7-Minute Workout With This HIIT Move