Is my fitness determined by how I look or how I feel?

It depends on what measures you have decided to use to quantify the meaning of fitness. Each person has their own idea of what fitness means and this is influenced by past experiences, personal perceptions, and popular culture. Many times, fitness is used to describe stellar athletes who have a mixture of stamina, coordination, agility, strength, power, flexibility, and cardiorespiratory endurance. Other times, fitness is used to describe the physical appearance of a person. In reality, fitness includes both your perception of how you look and your understanding of how you feel. Many times, these two are inextricably linked, in that, if you are feeling good physically, you often have a more positive perception of how you look.

Everyone is going to have a different evaluation process to determine their level of fitness. However, looking better than before is just one of the many results of using a quality fitness program, but should not be the sole indicator of whether a program is effective or not. Higher energy levels, greater management of stress and a better night’s sleep are just some of the other benefits of exercise that people sometimes overlook. By putting greater emphasis on how you feel to determine the benefits of fitness, the “looking better” part will usually take care of itself during the process of becoming a healthier you.

What motivates you in reference to fitness is a personal decision that you should take a moment to reflect on. 
So what motivates you?
If you are motivated from a internal source of personal interest or enjoyment where the rewards are solely for you. The your motivation is intrinsic and based on how you feel about your level of fitness. 
In contrast, if you are motivated by external sources of satisfaction such as a physicians review, rewards of competition, or the attention that compliments bring, then your motivation is extrinsic. This form of motivation refers to how you feel about the outside sources of praise or criticism in reference to your fitness.

So which is it for you?
I am sure for most people it is a blend of how you look and how you feel.
For example, A doctor's poor review of your health may push you towards exercising but over time when you will consistenly make healthier choices and exercise more you will hopefully find that you look AND feel great.

However, it can be dangerous to exercise solely for the promise of external (extrinsic) rewards. Do it for yourself and make it selfish. Decide on your best appearance not what other people will find to be your best apprearance. Commit to the actions that lead to success. Commit to the highest level of health and fitness for YOU and I am sure you will look and feel great.

I have seen alot of people that may look good on the outside have poor cardiorespiratory systems on the inside. Exercise is the most important factor. You want a strong heart,lungs,joints,muscles and neromuscular control. you want to have all the benefits of exercise and the most important to have a great quality of life. Looking good on the outside is a plus. Exercising itself is beneficial all around, and by doing it will make you feel Great inside and out.

I believe there are distinct aspects of mind, body, and spirit that address one's level of fitness. For an individual to be truly fit they have to be thriving in each area. Fitness than would be determined by both how you look and feel.

For example, an individual could look great on the outside, but on the inside just surviving. What I mean by that is the level of training and nutrition (extreme) that the individual is involved in to looking great on the outside, could in fact be putting their body in chronic pain, create lack of sleep, emotional up's and down's, hunger, and low energy. In this example the individual is fit to perform the training and conditioning, but has nothing leftover to engage in other aspects of life. 

The good news is that if an individual partakes in a fitness program that is systematic and progresses properly for them it will only help their potential for feeling and looking fit. 

One's fitness is not determined by how you look or feel, because if you think you can be successful and become better physically fit that will overcome how one look or feels. When a goal is set in the mind action will follow, and in return produces results of not only feeling better, but looking better than before. 
In my opinion, how you feel would be a more accurate gauge on your fitness than how you look.  While 'how you look' is important and is one of the biggest reasons individuals workout--it is not a fair assessment of one's fitness level.   I have known many people who are thin or appear to be 'in-shape' but get winded climbing a flight of stairs.  These individuals probably have a poor fitness level.  Proper fitness is apparent in your ability to perform the acivities you want to perform at the level you want to perform them. 
John Andrew
Fitness

It can be either one depending on your age, gender, activity level, etc. Ask yourself, what are my personal goals? Is your idea of fitness to look younger, fit into a certain size of clothing that you have not worn for years, or is it to feel more energetic, more alive and vibrant?

There are lots of folks who look fit but are not very fit at all, and then there are some very good athletes that are very fit but who might not look fit. The old adage: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

One of today's trends of health and wellness for the vast majority of Baby Boomers is to look and feel good. Whether you are in that demographic or not why not go for both! 

There are lots of folks who look fit but are not very fit at all, and then there are some very good athletes that are very fit but who might not look fit. The old adage: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". One of today's trends of health and wellness for the vast majority of Baby Boomers is to look and feel good. Whether you are in that demographic or not why not go for both!

When you look at fitness how you look and feel are two great points to achieve.  However you want to set specific goals for yourself.  As you start working out you will definately start feeling good about yourself and as the months go on you will see changes in how you look to.  Just remember there is no one area that determines your fitness level but several areas like healthy eating, cardiovascular training, resistance training and overall well being.  The best way to determine where you are at now and where you should be is meet with a fitness professional to determine your goals.

Fitness is determined by each individual person. What is important to you, how you look or how you feel?

I bet if you feel like you can do anything you want and do it with energy, you will feel fit. The more you move the better you will look. The two go hand in hand.

Looking fit and feeling fit will have you naturally wanting to make healthier choices both with food and movement, one good habit breeds another.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 minutes of this stuff a day can help keep your muscles young. We're talking about exercise. Yep, the timeless physique is just minutes away. ...
Should I follow the FITT principle for exercise?
Yes the FITT principle which stands for Frequency, Intensity, Type, and Time, should dictate your pl...
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
Work up a sweat for these major health benefits.
How to Have a Healthy Commute
How to Have a Healthy Commute