What features are important to have on a heart rate monitor?

The essential features that a heart rate monitor must have are time records in your training zone, total exercise time, and average exercise heart rate.  Additional features of a heart rate monitor that make tracking progress easier are  time below training zone, time above training zone, and recovery time.

The answer to that question really depends on your needs. If your goal is basic weight loss and you want to be efficient with your training and stay in your designated zones then a basic (Polar is the brand that I have had the best success with) HR monitor should work fine for you. Most basic monitors will have a HR display along with time in your zone and total exercise time. They will also allow you to manually program the intensity levels that you would like based on your estimated VO2 max or your 220-age max formula.

If you are a competitive runner and don't mind spending $300-$400 you can have monitors that have speed sensors, stride sensors, barometers and data transfer capabilities to a computer for logging runs or rides. It really depends on your goals and what you plan to use the monitor for. I can tell you from experience that most people that use HR monitors for fitness just need the basics...HR display, time in your zone, ability to adjust your zones and a time keeping capability. They are great tools!

Continue Learning about Fitness

Why Diet and Exercise Don’t Work—9 Questions for Dan Buettner
Dan Buettner is a National Geographic Fellow and multiple New York Times bestselling author. He discovered the five places in the world—dubbed “Blue Z...
Should I follow the FITT principle for exercise?
Yes the FITT principle which stands for Frequency, Intensity, Type, and Time, should dictate your pl...
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
Reap the benefits of your time at the gym by dodging these workout no-nos.
Alev Kelter’s 7-Minute Regimen Workout
Alev Kelter’s 7-Minute Regimen Workout