What type of exercise routine should I set up if I am an advanced client?

You may advance your routine by moving from isolated single joint exercises like a bicep curl that works mainly the bicep and make it a multi-joint muscle movement. For example, a multi-muscle movement could be a total body movement such as a squat with a bicep curl to a press-up. There are a number of benefits of doing total body exercises:

1. You are using more muscles... so you are burning more calories.

2. When you are working the lower and upper body at the same time, your core is forced to stabilize, thus you are building core strength.

3. Our bodies don't move with isolated movements, they work as an integrated unit and should be trained in that way.

4. You can get more accomplished in less time .                                      

5. Total body exercises can be challenging and fun!

Click on my profile if you need more suggestions to advance your individual program.

If you have an advanced fitness level, avoid a mental and/or physical plateau by integrating different styles of training or by adding complexity to the workouts you have completed in the past. Alternately, you can change things completely and try out a different and new exercise routine that will push you out of your comfort zone. Combine training focuses to help avoid a plateau and overtraining injury. This type of program alternates higher volumes of training with lower volumes of training. Train at various intensities during the week. For example, on day one, focus on muscular endurance by training at low to moderate loads with minimal rest in between each set. Complete 1-3 sets of 12-20 repetitions at an intensity of 50%-70% of your maximal effort with 0-90 seconds of rest in between sets. On day two, you can focus on building strength with moderate loads and minimal rest. Complete 2-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions at an intensity of 70%-80% of your maximal effort with 0-60 seconds of rest in between each set. On day three, focus on developing power through high force and velocity. This means that you will need to perform exercises as quickly as is safely possible. Compete 1-10 sets of 3-6 repetitions at a load of up to 10% of your body with 3-5 minutes of rest between each set.

Continue Learning about Fitness

In a Chair? Take a Break
In a Chair? Take a Break
If you spend large chunks of your day in a sitting position, then listen up: It's time for a break. From your chair. Whether you're riding in a car, ...
Can exercise help prevent sleep disorders in police officers?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Researchers at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital screened 4957 police offi...
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique.
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?