What type of exercise routine should I set up if I am an advanced client?

If you have an advanced fitness level, avoid a mental and/or physical plateau by integrating different styles of training or by adding complexity to the workouts you have completed in the past. Alternately, you can change things completely and try out a different and new exercise routine that will push you out of your comfort zone. Combine training focuses to help avoid a plateau and overtraining injury. This type of program alternates higher volumes of training with lower volumes of training. Train at various intensities during the week. For example, on day one, focus on muscular endurance by training at low to moderate loads with minimal rest in between each set. Complete 1-3 sets of 12-20 repetitions at an intensity of 50%-70% of your maximal effort with 0-90 seconds of rest in between sets. On day two, you can focus on building strength with moderate loads and minimal rest. Complete 2-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions at an intensity of 70%-80% of your maximal effort with 0-60 seconds of rest in between each set. On day three, focus on developing power through high force and velocity. This means that you will need to perform exercises as quickly as is safely possible. Compete 1-10 sets of 3-6 repetitions at a load of up to 10% of your body with 3-5 minutes of rest between each set.

Continue Learning about Fitness

New Guidelines for Tracking Your Max Heart Rate
For some folks Metallica is what it takes to get their heart racing, for others Tom Jones does the trick. But when you’re working out, you want to kee...
Foods to Fuel Your Workout
Foods to Fuel Your Workout
Eating just the right thing before lifting weights or jumping on the elliptical trainer can keep you energized from start to finish. But what you shou...
Exercise to Get Smart
Exercise to Get Smart
Whenever I'm trying to figure out a solution to a particularly thorny problem, my first instinct is to go for a walk, hop on my bike, or take off on m...
Meet Donovan Green
Meet Donovan Green
Meet celebrity fitness trainer Donovan Green, author of No Excuses Fitness, creator of the Chair Workout and our expert Fitness Group and Challenges L...