How much exercise should I do if I have feet and shoulder problems?

Wendy Batts
Fitness

If you have feet and shoulder issues, there is no specific amount of exercise that is right or wrong. The cause and severity of your problems will determine how much activity is appropriate for you. Be sure to first consult with your healthcare provider and obtain a referral to a specialist such as an orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist or neurologist to narrow down the cause of the problems. Seek out treatment from an allied health professional such as a physical therapist and discuss the amount of exercise that is right for you. Once you have been cleared to exercise on your own, seek out the help of a qualified personal trainer or exercise coach for assistance. Look for one that ideally has credentials and experience in corrective exercise.

First, pay attention to your body. I would shy away from high impact exercise as it will likely cause pain and end your desire to exercise. I recommend 3-4 days per week for 30-45 minutes dedicated to exercise, but don't be afraid to make exercise a part of every day and incorporate in to daily routines.
If you have issues with your feet are shoulders that make exercise painful or uncomfortable you must consult with a physician, preferably and an orthopedic surgeon to determine if you’re healthy enough for exercise, and if so what types and forms of exercise you should perform. Once you have been cleared to exercise by the physician find a qualified and certified trainer or rehabilitation clinic to help guide you in your prescribed work outs. There are many different issues that can cause pain or discomfort in the feet and shoulders, and without knowing which type you could do more harm than good by doing some exercises. Consult a physician and then start a proper exercise program. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

3 Secrets to Living—and Loving—an Active Life
Most of us start the new year in love with our new workout gear, only to see it gather dust in the closet a month later. Here's how to keep your inter...
How can I be more physically active?
Darren Treasure, PhDDarren Treasure, PhD
Strategies to help you become physically activeAs people progress through the stages of change, the ...
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
Reap the benefits of your time at the gym by dodging these workout no-nos.
Runner’s Workout for Arms and Legs
Runner’s Workout for Arms and Legs