Does exercising in a hot room boost my weight training or yoga efforts?

There is a style of yoga called Bikram Yoga that uses higher room temperatures during yoga classes. Disciples of this particular approach believe there are benefits to the body in terms of pliability, circulation, toxin removal and focus.  Hotter rooms are also trending in the world of aerobic exercise, specifically during spinning, despite there being little evidence of better outcomes with a heated environment.
Experts feel that for the average exerciser, a heated environment actually makes the person less able to perform maximally, because their body has to work so much harder to stay cool. In particular, the heart is asked to provide adequate oxygen to the muscles, remove waste that accumulates during exercise AND pump even more blood to help dissipate the heat. There are no current studies that suggest any benefits that warrant the risks involved.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Is Your Workout Paying Off?
Is Your Workout Paying Off?
Investment-minded people know one of the best ways to strengthen a long-term financial portfolio is to diversify investments. Investing your money in ...
How much physical activity do I need to be healthy?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
To  achieve a longer, healthier, more vigorous life, the least amount of physical activity for the g...
5 Fun Summer Workouts
5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts
Skip the gym and head outside for these fun, calorie-burning workouts.
How Can I Change My Body Shape?
How Can I Change My Body Shape?