Does exercise affect how we age?

Yes. Unfortunately, aging has become synonymous with degeneration and loss of functional ability, which is a mistake. Typical forms of degeneration associated with aging include osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, low-back pain, and obesity. Despite the normal decline of some functional ability, older adults can and do respond to exercise much in the same manner as healthy younger adults. In fact, exercise can help older adults maintain muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, aerobic fitness, and overall health and wellness.

Yes. Exercise boosts immunity and helps prevent chronic disease, which can help increase how long we live and improve our quality of life. It is common to see a progressive deterioration of the body's functions as we age. However, this deterioration can be slowed by enhancing our body's ability to function via exercise. Research has shown that exercise can improve the body's function. The heart can be strengthened with aerobic endurance training. Resistance training can improve muscular strength, and balance training can improve coordination and stability helping prevent falls. Engaging in exercise can help you add productive, independent years to your life.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique. Feel like you're getting weaker? If you're not already including strength training...
How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau
Kitchen Workout
Kitchen Workout
How Should I Use My Treadmill If I Want to Lose Weight?