Does exercise actually make you hungrier?

New research suggests that 45 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous exercise in the morning, may actually reduce a person’s motivation to eat. In the recent study, the researchers measured the neural activity of 35 women as they looked at pictures of food on mornings with and also without an exercise effort. When the results were compared, the women overall seemed to be less interested in food after the exercise sessions.
The researchers concluded that exercise not only helps with burning calories (energy output) but also may affect how people respond to food cues, especially shortly after exercise. An additional observation was the fact that the women seemed to intuitively add more exercise throughout the day, on the days that they exercised in the morning. Also noted was the observation that the women did not “eat extra” to make up for the calories burned on the exercise days.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Rejuvenate Your Love of Exercise With These Tools
Exercise of any kind should be fun. After all, it’s basically playing. But it doesn’t strike a lot of folks like that. The Centers for Disease Control...
Does It Matter When You Exercise?
Does It Matter When You Exercise?
Apple CEO Tim Cook sends out company emails at 4:30 a.m. and heads to the gym at 5:00. And LeBron James often exercises at that same early hour—even w...
What should I know about hiking?
Jane MilliffJane Milliff
“Hiking downhill is harder than going up– I’m always on guard and if there’s any scree, I slip.” say...
Will it ever be possible to get the positive effects of exercise in a pill?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It is possible that there will be a pill that creates the same positive effects of exercise. In this...