Do women respond differently than men to exercise?

Yes. Women have different hormone levels as well as different anatomy and physiology than men.  Women may need to lift weights at different intensities compared to men to achieve similar results. Women are also more prone to conditions such as amenorrhea if they exercise excessively. Osteoporosis is more frequent in females, especially postmenopausal women, but exercise can reduce risk of osteoporosis.  Females participating in long distance running or those who train excessively are at risk to develop amenorrhea, which is a loss of menses. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
8 Moves to Melt Your Muffin Top
8 Moves to Melt Your Muffin Top8 Moves to Melt Your Muffin Top8 Moves to Melt Your Muffin Top8 Moves to Melt Your Muffin Top
Get rid of those stubborn love handles by adding these moves to your cardio routine. By Olivia DeLong Muffin top, love handles, oblique fat—the extra...
How Should I Use My Treadmill If I Want to Lose Weight?
Dr. Oz Works Out with David Buer
Dr. Oz Works Out with David Buer