Is conditioning simply just pushing to the limit every time?

No, conditioning does not require you to push the limit every time - just some of the time. In fact, working too hard can directly hurt your conditioning if done over the long term. It can lead to burn-out and eventually lead to cumulative or acute injury. Think of training to improve conditioning like studying for a final exam. If you procrastinate only to cram all the work in at the end, your results will show it. You might get some noticeable gains; however, they will be short-term because you are starting from a de-conditioned state. Whether striving for long-duration endurance, speed durability over moderate distances, or peak output in shortened intervals - great conditioning demands balance and planning in its application. Adhere to both of these policies:

1. Improving conditioning is a long-term, progressive process to be implemented over months rather than weeks or days; and
  2. Develop a plan that taps into all realms of cardiovascular and metabolic demands. In short, this involves long, medium, and short-duration activities with light, moderate, and high intensities. There is a science and art to training because our bodies require time, rest, and varying demands to promote enhanced performance.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Do You Overestimate How Much You Exercise?
Think you’re hitting the gym hard? You might not be doing as much as you thought. Turns out people typically overestimate how intensely they’re exerci...
Will weight training give me big muscles if I am a woman?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Most of the women I know (from my practice, sitting in TV audiences, and the scores that I meet as I...
Ditch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor Activities
Ditch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor Activities
Have fun in the sun this summer. It may even help you drop a few pounds.
Dr. Oz Works Out with David Buer
Dr. Oz Works Out with David Buer