How do I commit to a health and fitness routine?

I wish committing to a program were as easy as it sounds. To commit to a health and fitness routine you really have to make it a priority in your life. A lot of times people start programs and are really enthusiastic and almost overdo it and then get burnt out and fall off the wagon. Start slow....add 3 days of exercise in a week and then once you've done that a couple weeks add another day in. Find exercise programs that you enjoy and keep varying your workouts so you don't get bored. Once you've made it through the first month or two you'll find that if you don't exercise you start to miss it! Find an accountability partner, friend, or trainer to help push you if you still can't do it on your own. 

Mind over matter...make up your mind and create a plan of action. Stick to your plan regardless of what the day brings. It is an important decision and will affect you in a positive way if you see it through.

Adaptation causes plateaus. Our bodies do their darnedest to make sure we do not fail when we place demands on them. If it does this time, it will quickly adapt so next time it won’t fail.  After a time, if you don’t change up the demands, you will no longer see improvement. You only get what you ask for.  

To avoid plateaus you must change up your workouts regularly using periodization workouts. These types of workouts progress you through the different stages of intensity, volume and work loads in both resistance and cardiovascular training.

Remember, there are 3500 calories in one pound of fat and order to lose one pound of fat per week, your must achieve a caloric deficit of approximately 500 calories a day. Diane Armstrong - Elite Trainer

Mark Levine
Fitness

I wish this was an easy answer. I would put the exercise sessions in your daily planner. If you are going to exercise Monday,Wednesday, and Friday at 8:00AM then put those dates and times on your schedule. Your daily planner will look like this:

8:00 Exercise, Cardio

10:00 Budget Meeting

1:00 Staff Meeting

6:00 Kids Baseball Game

I recommend starting slow maybe 2-3X a week and going 20-30 minutes a session. Tne first week, I would do a cardio exercise 2X/week and a strength training session the first week. The second week I would flip it and do 2 strength trainign sessions and 1 cardio. After a few weeks, you should add another weekly session so that you have four sessions. You can also increase the time to 30-45 minutes/session.

The key is to start slow so you don't injure yourself and let exercise become a habit and it will become part of your weekly routine.

One of the best ways to stay committed to a health and fitness routine is to practice "visualization."

That simply means spend some time, every day, and visualize in your mind the benefits you are recieving from your exercise routine. See them clearly...each and every benefit...one by one.

If you can stay focused on the benefits you are receiving from your consistant efforts, then staying committed to a health and fitness routine is nothing more than just going through the motions.

Remember, stay focused on what you want to be (ex. lean, fit, healthy) and what you want to have (ex. six pack abs, 15% body fat) not the process you must go through in order to acheive it.

Staying focused on your goals and the benefits you are getting from exercise should help you stay motivated to keep on going forward and making health and fitness a part of your every day life.

There are many components that can help you commit to a fitness routine. 

• Find the right time.  Begin your program when you are truly ready and have the time in your schedule to commit to the program.
  • Enlist support from workout buddies or a trainer, at least in the beginning.  It is lot harder to skip workouts when you have someone meeting you.
  • Commit to a short term goal.  Vow to follow your program for 30 days. This is enough time to make exercise a habit and to start seeing results which will encourage you to continue.
  • Give yourself periodic rewards for your efforts.
  • Keep challenging yourself with different activities and goals to keep the workouts interesting.

As Coach Toby and Coach Dr. Michelle Cleere mentioned, finding someone to be accountable to and participating in activities that you enjoy are huge success factors when commiting to a health and fitness routine. 

In addition to that also try the following suggestions.

3 Key ingredients for Exercise Motivation Revitalization

1.) Be happy and grateful for where you are and what you have now.  Not when you lose 20 lbs or 5 inches off your waistline.

2.) Love and respect yourself.  Practice self love and care for yourself enough to maintain your body with good wholesome food choices and regular exercise.

3.) Care for YOU first.  Time to be selfish.  If you don't put your own oxygen mask on first you'll eventually run out of air and not be any good to anyone else.  More often than not everyone and everything is more important than YOU.  Change that. Schedule you time first and watch your body and health improve dramatically.

Want to read more about these suggestions read the full blog post here:

http://www.sharecare.com/user/debra-froehlich/blog/show/3-easy-ways-to-get-your-exercise-motivation-back

Your lifestyle is a series of your choices. Including fitness in that lifestyle is your decision. In order to commit, you need to find a reason WHY you want to improve your fitness levels. It is easy to go along with “the experts” and say it is for your health, to prevent disease, to live longer, to lose weight, to have a happier life, etc. However, these are not personal reasons to improve your fitness. Fitness needs to have value in your life. Here are some simple questions you can ask yourself that will begin to develop the WHY behind your decision to a fitter you:

1. If I were in better shape, had more endurance, had less pain and/or sickness, what would I do differently with my time/life?
  2. If I did not have to think about how my body limits me by pain, injury, sickness, lack of energy, lack of confidence, what physical, professional or personal goals would I be able to accomplish?
  3. If I had more energy, felt better about myself, was happier every day, was more productive at work and home, and was not limited in the activities I could do, how would my time with family and friends be enhanced?
  4. How would my life change if I could look in the mirror and be proud of who I saw.
  5. Do I want to be a prisoner of my body crippled by my circumstances or do I want to utilize my body to live life as I choose, accomplish my dreams, and have the freedom to do what I want when I want?

Bottom line is: Commit to yourself, believe in yourself, do Fitness for your reasons and you will be successful. Take some time to sit down alone and ask yourself the above questions. You have the motivation, you have the time, you have what it takes.

One way we commit to a health and fitness routine is by writing down specifically what are the fitness goals that I desire, and when would I like to achieve theses goals? By writing down one's goals in statements on paper this solidifies the commitment, then with the help of a HFPN fitness coach and expert we can help put a plan in place that will enhance the commitment to accomplish one's fitness goals. 

The easiest way to answer this to ask yourself, WHY?” Why are you changing to a healthier lifestyle? Why are you exercising? Why are you choosing a salad with grilled chicken over lasagna? What motivated you to want to change? Was it a bad report from your doctor?  Maybe it was the shock of what your scale reported your weight to be versus what you thought you weighed.

Whatever your reason is, that is your “WHY?” and that is all the commitment you need to follow a health and fitness lifestyle.  Just keep it mind every day, every time you have a choice to make that can have a positive or negative effect on your health and it will be so simple.

Once you begin to focus on your reason why, your commitment will force you to say,” I must workout.” Instead of the flimsy and weak, “I should workout.”

“Where the mind goes the body follows.”

Why?

Focus on it.

Commit to it.

Enjoy your success.

Accountability is always a great way to stay commited to a health and fitness routine. Personal training is great for this but there are other means.A buddy system, find a friend you can workout with so that you can help each other achieve specific goals. Family is another great support.Bottom line is that health and fitness are so important to sustain a great quality of life and to keep that day to day functionality.You only have one body so keep it as healthy and treat it as good as you can.

First, you need to choose where you like to exercise. Whether it is at home, a gym, outside, or a combination of places, the location may limit your choices when designing your program. Determine if you are going to take exercise classes, work out with a partner, go it alone, or a combination thereof. Next, determine what days you have available to exercise and how much time you can allocate on each given day. It would be optimal if you could allocate five days a week to exercise, spending three days a week on resistance training and two days on cardio; but it may not be realistic. You might only have ten minutes a day to exercise; therefore, you will need to optimize those ten minutes. Don’t be the person who says, “Well I can’t do 30 minutes so I’ll just skip today”. Even if you only have five minutes to stretch, do so. 

Next, make a list of exercises, sports, or recreational activities you enjoy. You will design your exercise routine around these activities, as well as choose exercises to improve your skills thus making them more enjoyable. If you like to play golf, then allot time in your exercise routine for golf. In addition, perform exercises that will help take strokes off your game or increase your driving distance and, at the same time, reduce your risk of injury.

The key to sticking with an exercise program is choosing the right place, time, and activity by which to get started. If you have the time, are doing something you like to do, and are comfortable with your surroundings, you will eventually establish a routine because the benefits will become obvious and the results will keep you going. It takes 30 days to create a habit, but only three days to break one. Take the next 30 days to “create the habit of living healthy.”

Stacy Ward
Fitness
The first thing you must do in order to make a committment to  an exercise rountine is have a positive mindset. Then you must know why you want to improve your health.  Be specific and dive deeper than just the surface answer to be healthy.  Your reasons needs to be compelling for you to stay motivated. You also need to believe that you will succeed, so it is important to set goals for  an exercise rountine that are realistic to your life.  How much time are you willing to prioritize and dedicate to your program?  Setting loafty goals at the beginning will set you up for failure if you can't sustain them.  Start out with small weekly goals and increase time and duration once you are able to complete these goal.  Every two weeks  add a new goal or increase your duration if you have consistently met your weekly goals. Remember you don't want to become too comfortable with your exercise program.  We must all step out of our comfort zones in order to keep seeing changes in our body.  I recommend using an accountibility partner or system to help you stay on track.  Have fun with it and encourage a friend or a family member to help you. If you lack a support system find  a fitness coach to guide you.
Find something you really like! Easier said than done right? Here are a couple of tips for finding something you like to do. 1. think back to what you loved when you were a kid. Most people have something they did as a kid that they really liked. As people transition out of school, build careers and raise families there is generally a period of time where they lose the ability to remain in touch with certain activities that they loved when they were younger. Some people remain out of touch with those while others regain their love for those experiences. Bike riding is a good example. Think back and see if there is there is an activity you can go back to or find something similar (if you don't own a bike you might try indoor cycling classes). 2. do some research on possibilities and if something sounds interesting give it a try. For example, many people are finding fun and enjoyment in Zumba right now. Zumba offers great music, free flow movement and is in a group environment which helps provide support and a sense of socialness. 3. ask friends, family members and co-workers what they like to do. You might be able to join them and at the very least be able to find some exercise partners.
The best way to commit to a fitness routine is accountability. Most people think that getting someone to keep them accountable means a personal trainer, however that is not always true. A personal trainer is great, but you can always have a friend, family member or a co-worker keep you on track. Then can even be your workout partner and you both can see the change.
Susan Moran
Fitness
"Committing" is the most important and hardest part of achieving your health and fitness goals. As i always tell my clients, start small and  make sure your goals are attainable, relative to your lifestyle. "Consistency is the key to change"! Pick one form of class/workout to start with and do it  two times per week to start. If  you calculate it, it is only 2 hours a week, not even the length of a movie...Make sure you feel "happy" and are seeing results after a couple of classes and  you will run back to that class/workout, without a hesitation. The trainer is an important part of the process, so take time to choose the workout that is appropriate fo you. Commit to a package of classes as opposed to paying for a single class,  this way you will be "forced" to go on the days when your mind is telling you otherwise...Once you start seeing results, you will start to feel better and everything in your life will be affected positively.
The first step is setting a fitness goal and when you want to accomplish that goal.  Gather your family and friends and let them know what you are trying to accomplish.  Let them be involved in helping you stay motivated and on pace to achieve your goal.

Once you have set a goal that you want to accomplish you can break it down to smaller daily, weekly and monthly goals. Rather than looking at the big goal and getting overwhelmed, you can achieve smaller but challenging goals on a daily basis to give you the confidence and motivation to keep going until you finally reach your ultimate goal.

I would also suggest doing a few things to track your progress.  You can weigh yourself and circumference measurements (neck, chest bicep, forearm, hip waist, thigh and calf).  If you are working with a fitness professional they can also put you through cardiorespiratory and performance assessments to help measure your progress over time.
Committing to a health and fitness routine can be an extreme challenge for many people even if you really want to improve your health and fitness. One way you can help ensure your commitment is to not take on too much at once. Your goal maybe be to incorporate 30-60 minutes of exercise into most days, but it can be a daunting task to try to squeeze this in at first. You may find that breaking your health and fitness goals into smaller, more manageable pieces will help with your commitment while you try to find a balance between your new routine and your daily schedule. Start by using your lunch break for fitness activities or getting up just 30 minutes earlier to start working out. Commit to taking a fitness class just once or twice a week, rather than trying to go every single day at first. Once you have successfully managed these types of changes, begin to devote more time to your routine or find other small pieces of available time in your day to increase your fitness activity. Slowly incorporating your health and fitness routine into your daily activities will help you strike a better balance and you may find that sticking with your routine is not as difficult.
This is one of the biggest problems for people which is committment.  There are so many things in life that can distract us.  Wether you have family, jobs or just a social life that can interfer with your goals and committment.  As I tell many of many clients it is all about time managing your life and make fitness a daily routine.  Just like brushing your teeth it is something you should do naturally.  All you have to do is set up days and times that work with your schedule and put one foot forward.
In order to commit to a health and fitness routine, you should begin with activities that you enjoy.  Start out by performing these activities just a few minutes a day, 2 or 3 days per week.  Schedule the time on your calendar, and consider it an appointment you cannot cancel.  You may also want to find a workout partner with the same goals and interests.  Be accountable to each other.  Increase the length of time and number of days you are working out after the first couple of weeks.

You will want to include proper nutrition in your new fitness regimen.  Logging daily food intake, keeping an exercise log and measuring your progress all contribute to making your new fitness routine a habit you won't want to break.  Hiring a personal trainer can also be very beneficial.  A certified trainer will be able to design a unique program based upon your fitness level and goals.  A trainer will also keep you accountable, will vary your workouts as you progress, ensure you are using proper form, and help keep you from becoming bored with your workouts.  Varying the activities and modifying your program are important for continuing progress and maintaining motivation.
Figuring out how to commit to a health and fitness routine is one of the most difficult hurdles you will face when it comes to pursuing fitness. Lifestyle changes are never easy, and they take high levels of commitment to successfully implement. The good news is that once a routine is established maintaining it is much easier. To make fitness a permanent part of your life, you will need to transform your irregular exercise habits into a committed routine. There are some methods or tricks you can use to make this transformation a bit easier. First, you will want to convince yourself that fitness is a habit you would like to integrate into your life. In this case, fitness would include not only physical activity but also proper nutrition. Choosing activities you enjoy, finding a workout partner, maintaining a set schedule, logging your physical activity and nutrition, and monitoring your progress can all help increase your motivation and transform your routine into habit. However, it is important to note routine does not mean that you do the same activities all of the time. In this case, routine means that you set aside scheduled time to pursue your fitness goals. Varying your physical activities and modifying your program based on your progress are both important factors in continuing to experience success and maintain motivation.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Turn to Your Friends to Meet Your Health Goals
If you Google the word “buddies,” you get 412,000,000 responses—a testimony to just how much folks value the concept of a supportive pal. But many of ...
How can I stay hydrated if I'm physically active?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You can stay hydrated if you're physically active by preparing ahead of time. It's important to stay...
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique.
Finish Your 7-Minute Workout With This HIIT Move