Can focusing on one sport be harmful to a teenager?

Luis Rodriguez, MD
Sports Medicine
Across the United States, more and more teenagers are focusing on a single, specialized sport or activity, much like the young gymnasts or other competitors at the Olympics. Unfortunately, these adolescents also increasingly develop so-called overuse injuries. An overuse injury occurs over time as the tissue of a bone or muscle endures repetitive stress -- and then is not allowed enough time to heal and recover.

Research has shown a link between sport specialization and an increase in overuse injuries among young people, many of whom train vigorously at the high school level or earlier. In some cases, these teens are aiming for the professional or Olympic level of competition.

Such a drive or ambition to become an elite athlete tends to leave out a crucial -- medical -- aspect of growing up: Bones and ligaments are not fully developed and are more vulnerable to injury. We have to make sure that we are providing a healthy environment with proper guidance for our children. The focus should not be just on winning. The health and safety of our young athletes should not be a secondary concern.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 minutes of this stuff a day can help keep your muscles young. We're talking about exercise. Yep, the timeless physique is just minutes away. ...
How much exercise should I get each week?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
For substantial health benefits, you should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) to 300 ...
8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want
8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want8 Clever Tips for the Body You Want
How Can I Exercise Without Expensive Fitness Equipment?