What are some tips for busy teens looking to remain active?

I am going to answer this as I answer anything for people under the age of 18, it really falls on the parents shoulders.

Teens are old enough to make decisions but many times the decisions are best directed by the direction of a parent, family member or mentor.  Let me know explain:

If a teen has no direction they are left to make decisions on their own so it is completely up to their decision on whether they choose to be active or sedetary.  Go outside or play video games, it is up to them.  However....

As a parent the teenager is still shaped by the decisions and example the parents leave.  If the parents are engaged in their kids lives, active outside then the chances their teen will remain active are also high.

Does the parent make time for their teenager?  Does the parents do things as a family that involves activity outside or if they do things as a family does it involve food and sitting?

My entire point is most teenagers are thinner than what they will be as they age so for most teens weight is not a huge consideration.  However, if their example is laziness and poor eating habits then when they get older they have no idea how to fix a weight problem that may occur.  If they are a teenager and their parents are active and eat healthy then the teenager has a much better chance of remaining active and healthy as well.

We are still our teenagers example!

Keeping teens active can be a challenge so if you’re teen is already pursuing career interest then good for them.  We want to in the process keep them active so they can learn to balance all aspects of life.  Help them with their schedule, find loopholes where they may have extra time to squeeze in a walk or run.  Find intramurals they can participate or weekend activities such as hiking or biking.  Another great suggestion, do the above list with them!  No better way to build strong family ties then to workout with one another.

Activity used to be built into a teens life but has definitely lessened over the past 10-20 years. Kids used to walk or bike to school and used to spend more time playing outdoors. With the invention of computers and computer games kids spend more time doing less active activities.

Whats helpful? There are several things that can be helpful. If it's feasible, add physical activity into your teens day by having them walk or cycle to school. Role modeling is one of the most helpful things. If your teen see's you working out and making health a priority they will have a tendency to also make it a priority. Another helpful thing is to plan family activities that are active and fun. This helps the entire family to get in physical activity. 
I have a client that is a teenager in high school and is in intensive study from 8:00am through 7:00pm daily. He still manages to take the bus or ride his bicycle to the gym at least 3 weeknights and one or two days per weekend. My recommendation to him was to make it a social experience so that it feels less like more work and more like play time. Having a friend to go with and be a training partner helps tremendously as does participating in fun, group activity like sports or intramural sports.  

Continue Learning about Fitness

10 Ways to Get More Benefits Out of Your Workout
When you're in a time crunch, you want to get the most out of every minute you spend working out, right? Although there are a few ways to do this, her...
How can I stay active if I have a chronic illness?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Because of the symptoms they experience, those who live with chronic illness may find it challenging...
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
Reap the benefits of your time at the gym by dodging these workout no-nos.
Chair Exercises That Work
Chair Exercises That Work