As a woman, how much intense cardio exercise should I do?

Personal trainer and competitive figure athlete Kelly Decolati emphasizes intense cardio for women clients at least three days a week, ideally five. What is intense? "For a woman age 35 to 45 in moderate to good health, your heart rate should be a minimum of 140, 170 max," she explains.

Like many trainers, she advises high-intensity interval training.

"I personally key in on intervals of very intense, 30-second-minimum sprints or bouts, with equal or less time for recovery. This allows your heart rate to drop down to a comfortable level." Decolati suggests 45 to 90 minutes of cardio. "The more intense the cardio, the less amount of time you need to expend the same amount of calories."

Continue Learning about Fitness

Rejuvenate Your Love of Exercise With These Tools
Exercise of any kind should be fun. After all, it’s basically playing. But it doesn’t strike a lot of folks like that. The Centers for Disease Control...
The Sperm Work Out
The Sperm Work Out
Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) fathered 69 children with one wife, who gave birth to 16 twins, seven triplets and four sets of quadruplets. That’s the l...
An Easy Way to Fall in Love with Activity
You'll end your love affair with your couch in no time if you observe this one rule when you plan physical activities: be choosy. Sounds simple, but ...
How can I be more physically active?
Darren Treasure, PhDDarren Treasure, PhD
Strategies to help you become physically activeAs people progress through the stages of change, the ...