As I start working out, what will I notice right away?

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
The most immediate change you will encounter is the change in your strength.  Your nervous system is fast to respond and adapt to a new workout and you might find that in just a few days, the amount of resistance you struggled with on Day 1, is now much easier to lift.  Be careful to not go overboard and lift too heavy when you are just starting out!  Just because you can, does not always mean you should!  Keep working with lighter resistance for at least the first 3-4 weeks, progressing to heavier weights over time.  Secondary to your strength changes, you will start to feel more energized and invigorated.  Pay attention to how you feel once you begin your workout program.  Those feelings are often overlooked when you are focused on reaching your goals, but they are extremely important in helping to keep yourself motivated.  When you feel great, you perform better at home, work, and often just embrace a better outlook and more positive attitude.  Physical changes, such as a smaller waistline, bigger biceps or reduced weight on the scale will happen over time – but you might not see these changes immediately.  They are coming!  Often these changes occur gradually so you might not see them week 1 – but you should see notable differences by week 4 of your program. 
Woman Working Out with Resistance Band

Exercising provides many immediate benefits that you should begin to feel shortly after starting a fitness program. Once you start exercising routinely, you will develop a body awareness and a better understanding of the difference between how you feel and how you want to feel. Most people find that exercising makes them feel better, and this helps provide the impetus to continue and expand their routine. Some of the reported positive effects span far beyond what you might first expect. Initially, you will start to burn more calories, and this will help with weight management. Your heart strengthens as it works harder to meet the increased demands and pump blood and oxygen throughout your body. As a result of exercise, you might find that you experience a better, more restful sleep at night. You should also find that you are more alert and have more energy to get you through your day. This increased energy, cardiorepiratory endurance, and strength will all help you progress in your workouts and allow you to move to higher intensity exercises.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique. Feel like you're getting weaker? If you're not already including strength training...
What Breakdancing Moves Can I Use for Exercise?
Week 1 Workout
Week 1 Workout
How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau