Is it safe for a child to work out with weights?

Working out with weights, or weight training, can be safe for children, and there is no evidence to suggest that when done safely it will stunt growth or cause injury. That being said, children should be supervised 100% of the time when weight training. Practicing proper technique and form are the most important part of weight training for children and should be continuously addressed. Since form and technique often suffer the most and since children's bodies are always changing and they are constantly learning coordination, weight should be kept light until form catches up, and increasing weight should be done slowly and cautiously. Remember, using body weight, as in push ups or squats, counts as weight training too. Check with your child's doctor before the child starts a weight training program.
Not only is weight training for children safe (if supervised), but it may reduce cardio-metabolic health risks. Research suggests that teens who weight train can experience lowered risks of cardio-metabolic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.

Until now, the focus had been to lower lower risk of developing heart disease or diabetes prematurely by lowering body mass index (BMI) with dietary intervention, increased aerobic fitness, and avoiding sedentary behavior. But researchers concluded that the formula to battle obesity and/or help a teen to lose weight should includeweight training, along with diet and aerobic exercise.

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

Insist on Fitness for Kids
Insist on Fitness for Kids
All Roads Lead to Rome is a Sarah Jessica Parker movie that led to nowhere (Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 3.5 out of 10). But it’s also a proverb meaning ...
Is interval training better than other forms of exercise for my child?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Before any form of exercise, make sure your child is of the appropriate age to start exercise.  As a...
When can young kids start exercising?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
It is a great idea to start exercise for your child early. Babies and toddlers can begin with gentle...
Why should I encourage my child to exercise?
You should encourage your child to exercise because it is important for children to exercise and sta...