Is an hour a day of exercise enough for children?

Physical activity in children and adolescents improves strength and endurance, builds healthy bones and lean muscles, develops motor skills and coordination, reduces fat, and promotes emotional well-being. Activities should be fun and appropriate for a child's age, and they should offer variety. The daily recommendation for exercise for children is at least 60 minutes per day of moderate to vigorous physical activity.  More than that is great as long as it is done safely and your child is continuing to enjoy what he’s doing. The 60 minutes does not need to be done all at once. Physical activity can be broken down into shorter blocks of time. For example, 20 minutes walking to and from school, 10 minutes jumping rope, and 30 minutes at the playground add up to 60 minutes of exercise. If your child is not active now, it's not too late to start. You can start where you are and build up from there.

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
An hour a day of exercise for children is not enough, says Robin Miller, MD. In this video she shares the kind of exercise kids need to maintain a healthy heart.

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

Boost Kids' Fitness With Activity Zones
Boost Kids' Fitness With Activity Zones
On the school playground, getting “in the zone” is a smart way for kids to reach their goals—of more physical activity and better classroom performanc...
What exercises can I do with my toddler?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Exercising with your toddler is feasible but will present some challenges.  Your number one goal sho...
Is interval training better than other forms of exercise for my child?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Before any form of exercise, make sure your child is of the appropriate age to start exercise.  As a...
What Is the President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition?