How do I know if my preschooler is getting enough exercise?

A preschooler should get 60 minutes or more of exercise daily through regular active play. For preschoolers this play may be free play/unstructured activity, while it may be partially directed or sports team-related for school-age children.
Ask yourself the following questions. If you can usually answer “yes” to these questions, your preschooler is probably getting enough physical activity.
  • Does your preschooler play outdoors or in a room where they are free to run around several times a day?
  • Does your preschooler watch less than two hours of TV daily (including all screen time)?
  • Do you make sure that your preschooler doesn’t sit for more than 60 minutes at one time?
  • When actively playing, is your preschooler breathing quickly and/or sweating?
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

Insist on Fitness for Kids
Insist on Fitness for Kids
All Roads Lead to Rome is a Sarah Jessica Parker movie that led to nowhere (Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 3.5 out of 10). But it’s also a proverb meaning ...
How can I keep my child active if she doesn’t like sports?
Dania J. Lindenberg, MDDania J. Lindenberg, MD
Sports are not a good fit for every child, but there are lots of organized activities that involve p...
How can parents improve their children's cardiovascular health?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Changing unhealthy habits can make a difference. A research study found that children who ate fruits...
Does Healthy Food Have to Be More Expensive and Less Available?