How can my child avoid muscle cramps?

Make sure that your child is properly hydrated. Your child needs to not only be drinking fluids during activity but also before and after. During competition, drinks such as Gatorade or PowerAde provide the essential fuel for the body. Also encourage your child to drink water along with a drink like Gatorade. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

Boost Kids' Fitness With Activity Zones
Boost Kids' Fitness With Activity Zones
On the school playground, getting “in the zone” is a smart way for kids to reach their goals—of more physical activity and better classroom performanc...
How can I get my children to exercise?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Even if you didn't get your child active when she was a toddler, it's never too late to start. I...
How much physical activity should kids get each day?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
The American Academy of Pediatrics believes that children should have moderate physical activity at ...
How Do You Get the Message Out About Fitness, Sports and Nutrition?