I cannot leave my young kids home alone, what can I do to exercise?

Although it may be seem like a challenge at first the best way to get your exercise in is to include your kids in your activity. Instead of a formal exercise program you may have to turn your time into something a little more fun and play oriented. 

If you can go outside try games such as tag, shuttle runs, and cross-training with your kids. Hit the part and utilize the equipment at park to do modified push-ups, step-ups, lunges and squats. If your children are infants or toddlers you can walk or jog with them in a stroller. If they are older have them ride their bike alongside as you jog. 

If you are inside create small space in your house that becomes "mommy's gym". Perhaps it is by the bottom of the stairs. Do step-ups, modified push ups, dips, and squats. Bring your children's toys near the are to keep them occupied while you work out. If they want your attention, include them, or even hold them during the lower body exercises if it is safe for both of you.

Along with you getting your own exercise you are also setting an example for your children. The more they see you exercise and the more they are included they are more likely to stay physically activity as it is a part of their normal lifestyle. 

Look at having young children as a wonderful opportunity to include them in positive life activities but also a great chance to spend quality time with them.

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

How can I help my child be more active?
Stephanie M. Walsh, MDStephanie M. Walsh, MD
Be a role model!  It is important that children see others in their family being active.  Schedule t...
How can my child avoid muscle cramps?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Make sure that your child is properly hydrated. Your child needs to not only be drinking fluids duri...
How can I keep my child active if she doesn’t like sports?
Dania J. Lindenberg, MDDania J. Lindenberg, MD
Sports are not a good fit for every child, but there are lots of organized activities that involve p...
What Impact Does the White House Garden Have on Schools and Communities?