Do children get enough exercise?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Some children do get enough exercise, but most do not get the recommended one hour daily. In addition, the exercise should make our kids work. If they are just standing around shooting a basketball, the exercise is not as effective as running around the court while playing a game.

Current recommendations state that children and adolescents should get 60 minutes (1 hour) or more of physical activity daily. Unfortunately many children do not meet this standard. Children and adolescents should engage in aerobic, muscle-strengthening, and bone-strengthening activities daily to improve their health and reduce their risk of developing chronic disease. In response to the growing problem of obesity and diabetes in American children, the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) has revised their statement on physical activity and now also recommends that children ages 5 to 12 get up to 60 minutes of exercise and up to several hours of physical activity daily.

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Obesity in American children is at an all-time high. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller discusses activity goal levels in children and how to encourage kids to be more active.

Continue Learning about Fitness For Children

Insist on Fitness for Kids
Insist on Fitness for Kids
All Roads Lead to Rome is a Sarah Jessica Parker movie that led to nowhere (Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 3.5 out of 10). But it’s also a proverb meaning ...
How do I know if my preschooler is getting enough exercise?
A preschooler should get 60 minutes or more of exercise daily through regular active play. For presc...
Why don't children get enough exercise?
Barriers to an active lifestyle are very real, and I see them in my practice every day. They include...
What Is the Connection Between the President's Council and Mrs. Obama's "Let's Move" Initiative?