What are orthotic devices?

Orthotic devices such as braces and splints use external force to correct muscle abnormality. The technology of orthotics has advanced over the past 30 years from metal rods that hooked up to bulky orthopedic shoes to appliances that are individually molded from high-temperature plastics for a precise fit. Ankle-foot orthoses are frequently prescribed for children with spastic diplegia to prevent muscle contracture and to improve gait. Splints are also used to correct spasticity in the hand muscles.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

Toxic Workout Clothes
Toxic Workout Clothes
Beware -- your favorite antimicrobial workout shirt or water-repellent hiking jacket may contain some surprising, and potentially toxic, chemicals. A ...
What are the benefits of compression shorts?
Compression shorts will keep your muscles warm, and make it easier for blood to circulate through yo...
What should I wear to go running in the winter?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
The best place to start with any winter running list is the shoes. I wear regular running shoes....
Do Toning Shoes Really Make You Burn More Calories?