What are orthotic devices?

Orthotic devices such as braces and splints use external force to correct muscle abnormality. The technology of orthotics has advanced over the past 30 years from metal rods that hooked up to bulky orthopedic shoes to appliances that are individually molded from high-temperature plastics for a precise fit. Ankle-foot orthoses are frequently prescribed for children with spastic diplegia to prevent muscle contracture and to improve gait. Splints are also used to correct spasticity in the hand muscles.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

Toxic Workout Clothes
Toxic Workout Clothes
Beware -- your favorite antimicrobial workout shirt or water-repellent hiking jacket may contain some surprising, and potentially toxic, chemicals. A ...
What kind of swimsuit should I wear if I have a big bust?
The worst thing big-busted woman can do is wear a swimsuit that doesn't have enough support on t...
What gearing should I use for climbing?
A 27 cassette is not a bad idea especially if you are climbing upwards of 10% grades for a signi...
Do Toning Shoes Really Make You Burn More Calories?