What are foot orthotics?

Prescription shoe inserts called foot orthotics are used to treat many orthopedic foot and ankle problems. In addition, foot orthotics are prescribed to treat biomechanically related problems involving the knee, hip, and lower back. These conditions are often responsive to the stability and improved mechanics that these devices provide. Sport-specific orthotics designed to both improve athletic performance and reduction of sports-related injury are also prescribed for running, tennis, squash, golf, basketball, alpine and cross-country skiing, cycling, spinning, soccer, lacrosse, hockey and figure skates, in-line skating, and hiking.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

Toxic Workout Clothes
Toxic Workout Clothes
Beware -- your favorite antimicrobial workout shirt or water-repellent hiking jacket may contain some surprising, and potentially toxic, chemicals. A ...
What gearing should I use for climbing?
A 27 cassette is not a bad idea especially if you are climbing upwards of 10% grades for a signi...
Is there a benefit to wearing a neoprene sleeve over large muscles?
Neoprene compression sleeves may offer the benefit of increasing warmth and compression to a joi...
What kind of swimsuit should I wear if I have a big butt and thighs?
A swim dress is great for camouflaging a large butt and thighs, and today's styles look a whole ...