How do I take my wetsuit off?

Wetsuit Removal: As soon as you exit the water from the swim you should start removing your wetsuit. To facilitate this, apply a lubricant (Aquaphor) to the neck, arms, and legs of the wetsuit before competition. As you are running towards your transition spot undo the Velcro at the neck, grab the cord attached to your zipper, and unzip your wetsuit fully. Continue running and pull your wetsuit off your upper arms, then off each individual lower arm (this should be easy with the lubricant on them). Run with your wetsuit hanging down at your waist until you get to your transition spot. After dumping your cap and goggles, you should pull the wetsuit down from your thighs, and then step out of each leg (once again lubricant helps a lot).

Getting Gear On: If it is a wetsuit swim, you can wear your race gear under the wetsuit. For a non-wetsuit swim, men can put their singlet in their swimsuit and pull it up as they run to transition. If this is the case, as soon as you get to your bike grab your helmet, put it on, and then run with your bike to the mount line. For a longer event it may be preferable to change into a specific cycling outfit and to put cycling shoes on before mounting the bike. If this is the case put the jersey and shorts on first, then the helmet, and finally the shoes. This requires more time but the key is to do it fluidly and in the right order.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

Toxic Workout Clothes
Toxic Workout Clothes
Beware -- your favorite antimicrobial workout shirt or water-repellent hiking jacket may contain some surprising, and potentially toxic, chemicals. A ...