What clothes and shoes do I need to start a walking program?

Prior to starting any form of exercise, be sure to set a goal. If your goal is as simple as “I am going to start walking to get active and be healthy” then that is a wonderful goal! If we do not set ourselves up for success then we will fail.

Some tips and clothing suggestions:

• Start and walking log and walking calendar. These will allow you to log you steps/miles and track/monitor your progress
  • Have comfortable walking shoes. You need something with support that will help prevent injury
  • Breathable clothing. Dri-fit type attire is great. Try to avoid cotton materials as they will feel heavy.
  • Stretch before and after
  • Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day
  • Eat well balanced meals to keep energy levels up

HAVE FUN!!

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

What should I wear to go running in the winter?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
The best place to start with any winter running list is the shoes. I wear regular running shoes....
What type of clothes should I wear to workout in?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
These days, there are a lot of options for kids and adults. Your best bet for exercising in the heat...
What kind of swimsuit should I wear if I have a big bust?
The worst thing big-busted woman can do is wear a swimsuit that doesn't have enough support on t...
What are the best compression shorts made of?
A combination of materials that allow your skin to breathe, that wick away moisture, and maintain co...