When should I have my first ultrasound during pregnancy?

When our patients get their first positive pregnancy test, we have them come in fairly soon. We try to get them in within 1 to 2 weeks, so that we can get their blood work. Once the patient is about 6 to 10 weeks along in pregnancy, we like doing an early ultrasound. That gives us so much medical information to make sure that it's not a tubal pregnancy, which can be dangerous. We make sure that the pregnancy is in the uterus. We make sure that there are not two or three babies, which would put the woman at a higher risk. We also make sure that it's a viable pregnancy, meaning that there is a good heart beat, to reassure them that they're at a low risk for miscarriage.

Continue Learning about First Prenatal Check-Up

What are the different types of responses to prenatal test results?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When you hear test results, you may feel exhausted, relieved, exhilarated, despairing, joyful, or te...
What should be my first step if I think I'm pregnant?
Almost half of all women become pregnant without planning. If you think you are pregnant, the first ...
When should I call my doctor if my home pregnancy test is positive?
Melissa Brown, MDMelissa Brown, MD
Let's say you've missed your period, and you check a home pregnancy test and find out that it's ...
What are prenatal tests?
SwedishSwedish
A prenatal diagnostic test is used to diagnose certain birth defects, such as Down syndrome, during ...