What are the benefits of an early ultrasound during pregnancy?

Brett E. Horsley, DO
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are pregnant, the majority of physicians will do an ultrasound on your first visit for a number of reasons. First of all, we doctors like to know exactly how far along you are because that dictates everything else in the pregnancy; when certain things occur, when certain tests are done. Secondly, it oftentimes picks up problems like an early miscarriage that has not been noted by the patient. Just because of these two issues, it is important enough to have one. The other issue, in my opinion, is also very important, and that is to help the mother and the father of the baby to really bond with the pregnancy. Once a mother sees the heartbeat, and especially once the dad sees a heartbeat, they really start to be more connected with the pregnancy, usually resulting in them taking better care of themselves and being more committed to the pregnancy.

Continue Learning about First Prenatal Check-Up

What prenatal care do I need in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
At week 23 your provider will start asking you if you are having any cramping that might be signs of...
How do I plan my first prenatal doctor visit during the first trimester?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Prenatal care consists of three interrelated elements: regular visits with your midwife or doctor, t...
What does prenatal care mean?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Prenatal care is comprehensive health care from an obstetrician or nurse-midwife for a woman during ...
When should I call my doctor if my home pregnancy test is positive?
Melissa Brown, MDMelissa Brown, MD
Let's say you've missed your period, and you check a home pregnancy test and find out that it's ...