How do I plan my first prenatal doctor visit during the first trimester?

Prenatal care consists of three interrelated elements: regular visits with your midwife or doctor, the care you give yourself, and the care you receive from friends, family, or other support people.

A woman with a normally progressing pregnancy and no complications usually visits her health care provider every four to six weeks during weeks 4 to 28, every two to three weeks from weeks 28 to 36, and every one to two weeks in the last month before her due date. The style of care you receive and the quality of your interactions can affect not only your physical experience of birth but your emotional experience.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about First Prenatal Check-Up

What does prenatal care mean?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Prenatal care involves both caring for yourself and seeing your obstetrician for regular visits. It ...
What are the different types of responses to prenatal test results?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When you hear test results, you may feel exhausted, relieved, exhilarated, despairing, joyful, or te...
When should I have my first prenatal doctor's appointment?
If you think you're pregnant, or if you've taken a home pregnancy test and gotten positive results, ...
What if I can't pay for prenatal tests?
Most health insurance plans, including Medicaid, will pay for prenatal visits, care, and medically n...