What should be my first step if I think I'm pregnant?

Almost half of all women become pregnant without planning. If you think you are pregnant, the first step is to try to pinpoint the first day of your last period. The next step is to take a pregnancy test. While you may feel joyful and excited about the possibility of becoming a mother, you may also feel shocked, embarrassed, ashamed, or incompetent. You may not be sure if you want to be a parent right now. Early confirmation, especially within the first month, will provide you with the greatest number of options.

If you are afraid of the results, it is helpful to find someone equipped to give you the support you need. As you make your way through the process of finding out and deciding among your options, it is good to get whatever support and advice you need for making your own decisions.

If you are pregnant, you might know what you want to do immediately, or you might find it an agonizing decision. Many of us change our minds once we are faced with the reality of being pregnant, even if we thought we knew what we would do. Be gentle with yourself. Remember that there is help to guide you through this time, regardless of your circumstances.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about First Prenatal Check-Up

When should I call my doctor if my home pregnancy test is positive?
Melissa Brown, MDMelissa Brown, MD
Let's say you've missed your period, and you check a home pregnancy test and find out that it's ...
Where can I go to get free or reduced-cost prenatal care?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Women in every state can get help to pay for medical care during their pregnancies. This prenatal ca...
How do I plan my first prenatal doctor visit during the first trimester?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Prenatal care consists of three interrelated elements: regular visits with your midwife or doctor, t...
What prenatal care do I need in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy?
Welcome to the second trimester. If you are considering prenatal testing, such as an amniocentesis, ...