What will happen on my first prenatal doctor visit during pregnancy?

Your first prenatal visit will be longer and more involved than the others. During your initial visit, you and your provider will calculate your due date and, ideally, begin to discuss your ideas, thoughts, hopes, and plans for your pregnancy. Your provider may confirm your pregnancy through a blood or urine test, and will also obtain a thorough health history of you, your family, and the baby's father. She or he will likely ask you about aspects of your life that may affect your pregnancy and your baby's health. The questions will cover, among other things, your past and present use of drugs (including prescription medicines), cigarettes, and alcohol; your diet (including any vitamins, other supplements, or herbs you may take); your level of physical activity; your occupation and hobbies; whether you have pets; and how much emotional support you have available.

In addition, your provider will give you a thorough physical examination that includes checking your heart and lungs, breasts, abdomen, blood pressure, and weight. She or he may also perform a pelvic exam to measure the size of your uterus (and growing fetus) and to obtain a Pap smear to screen for cervical cancer and infections. A urine sample will be taken in order to check for urinary tract infections and test for sugar in the urine (to detect potential problems with diabetes) or protein that might be a sign of kidney problems.

Continue Learning about First Prenatal Check-Up

What tests are done at my first prenatal doctor's appointment?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
At your first prenatal doctor's appointment, your doctor will want to do a variety of tests to asses...
When should I have my first prenatal doctor's appointment?
If you think you're pregnant, or if you've taken a home pregnancy test and gotten positive results, ...
When should I have my first ultrasound during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When our patients get their first positive pregnancy test, we have them come in fairly soon. We try ...
How often should I see my doctor during the third trimester of pregnancy?
In the third trimester, prenatal visits become more frequent. In the first part of the third trimest...