Why have the CPR guidelines changed?

Learn about the many years of research that led to the development of hands-only CPR. Watch this video with Debbie Licht, RN from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center.
In part, the change in the cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) guidelines reflects a concern that most victims of cardiac arrest fail to receive any CPR from bystanders in the critical minutes after their heart stops. “A lot of people don’t want to do mouth-to-mouth, either because they fear catching a disease or simply because they are squeamish,” says Mark Morocco, M.D., associate residency director for Emergency Medicine at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. “Even among those who do try it, there is a tendency to become frustrated and give up. These new guidelines simplify the process and get straight to the compressions before valuable time is wasted.”

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
What should I do before providing first aid?
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...