What should I do if a person is not breathing?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
A trained lay rescuer, that's someone who has taken a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) class, should provide, at a minimum, chest compressions. Rescue breaths can be added at a ratio of 30 compressions to 2 breaths. So if you find someone who is unresponsive, start right in with chest compressions and provide rescue breaths as you've been trained.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...