Why is my role in the Cardiac Chain of Survival so important?

In the Cardiac Chain of Survival, each link of the chain depends on, and is connected to, the other links.

Taking quick action by calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number, starting CPR immediately and using an AED makes it more likely that a person in cardiac arrest will survive.

Remember, you are the first link in the Cardiac Chain of Survival. By acting quickly, you can make a positive difference for someone experiencing a cardiac emergency.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe