How do I put an adult or a child in the modified H.A.IN.E.S. position?

For an adult or a child:

1. Start by kneeling at the person’s side.
  2. Reach across the body. 
  3. Lift the arm farthest from you next to the head with the person’s palm facing up. 
  4. Take the person's arm closest to you, and place it next to his or her side. Grasp the leg farthest from you, and bend it up. 
  5. Using your hand closest to the person’s head, cup the base of the skull in the palm of your hand. Slide your forearm under the person’s shoulder closest to you. 
  6. Do not lift or push the head or neck. 
  7. Place your other hand under the arm and hip closest to you. 
  8. With a smooth motion, roll the person away from you by lifting with your hand and forearm. Keep the person’s head in contact with the extended arm, and support the head and neck with your hand.   

9. Stop all movement when the person is on his or her side. Bend the knee closest to you, and place it on top of the other knee so that both knees are in a bent position. 
  10. Make sure the arm on top is in line with the upper body.

American Red Cross, rescue, postioning victim, adult, support head, neck

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...