How do I give rescue breaths when performing CPR on a child?

• After giving 30 chest compressions, open the airway and give 2 rescue breaths. 
  • Each rescue breath should last about 1 second and make the chest clearly rise. 
  • Use the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to ensure that the child’s airway is open. 
  • Continue cycles of 30 chest compressions and 2 rescue breaths.
American Red Cross,rescue breathing, face shield, child, mouth to mouth, resuscitation, give breath

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
What should I do before providing first aid?
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...