How do I give rescue breaths when giving CPR to an adult?

Once you have given 30 compressions, open the airway using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique and give 2 rescue breaths. Each rescue breath should last about 1 second and make the chest clearly rise.

• Open the airway and give rescue breaths, one after the other.
  • Tilt the head back and lift the chin up.
  • Pinch the nose shut then make a complete seal over the person’s mouth.
  • Blow in for about 1 second to make the chest clearly rise.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe