How do I give rescue breaths when giving CPR to an adult?

Once you have given 30 compressions, open the airway using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique and give 2 rescue breaths. Each rescue breath should last about 1 second and make the chest clearly rise.

• Open the airway and give rescue breaths, one after the other.
  • Tilt the head back and lift the chin up.
  • Pinch the nose shut then make a complete seal over the person’s mouth.
  • Blow in for about 1 second to make the chest clearly rise.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...