How do I position my hands correctly during CPR on a child?

• Using two hands, locate the proper hand position on the middle of the breastbone as you would for an adult.
  • If you feel the notch at the end of the sternum, move your hands slightly toward the child’s head. 
American Red Cross, kneel to victims chest, heel of hand on chest, hand over hand, interlace the fingers, chest compression

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...