How do I position my hands correctly during CPR on an adult?

1. Locate the correct hand position by placing the heel of one hand on the person’s sternum (breastbone) at the center of his or her chest. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8a2bd9755f03_63917704" title="Hand to chest over heart"]
  2. Place your other hand directly on top of the first hand and try to keep your fingers off of the chest by interlacing them or holding them upward. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8a2bfd4af8d1_04810824" title="Finding hand position"]
  3. If you feel the notch at the end of the sternum, move your hands slightly toward the person’s head. If you have arthritis in your hands, you can give compressions by grasping the wrist of the hand positioned on the chest with your other hand. 
  4. The person’s clothing should not interfere with finding the proper hand position or your ability to give effective compressions. If it does, loosen or remove enough clothing to allow deep compressions in the center of the person’s chest. 
American Red Cross, heel of hand on sternum, above xyphoid process, support wrist with hand

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...