How do I position my hands correctly during CPR on an adult?

1. Locate the correct hand position by placing the heel of one hand on the person’s sternum (breastbone) at the center of his or her chest. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8a2bd9755f03_63917704" title="Hand to chest over heart"]
  2. Place your other hand directly on top of the first hand and try to keep your fingers off of the chest by interlacing them or holding them upward. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8a2bfd4af8d1_04810824" title="Finding hand position"]
  3. If you feel the notch at the end of the sternum, move your hands slightly toward the person’s head. If you have arthritis in your hands, you can give compressions by grasping the wrist of the hand positioned on the chest with your other hand. 
  4. The person’s clothing should not interfere with finding the proper hand position or your ability to give effective compressions. If it does, loosen or remove enough clothing to allow deep compressions in the center of the person’s chest. 
American Red Cross, heel of hand on sternum, above xyphoid process, support wrist with hand

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...