How do I perform CPR on a child?

Learn the differences in performing hands-only CPR on adults, small children, and infants. Watch this video with Debbie Licht, RN from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center.
AFTER CHECKING THE SCENE AND THE INJURED OR ILL CHILD:

1: GIVE 30 CHEST COMPRESSIONS
Push hard, push fast in the center of the chest about 2 inches deep and at least 100 compressions per minute.

Tip: The child must be on a firm, flat surface.

[media id="PRD__4d8a2dd13b1c65_43224085" title="Compression and breathing cycle"]

2: GIVE 2 RESCUE BREATHS
  • Tilt the head back and lift the chin up. 
  • Pinch the nose shut then make a complete seal over the child’s mouth. 
  • Blow in for about 1 second to make the chest clearly rise. 
  • Give rescue breaths, one after the other. 
  • If chest does not rise with rescue breaths, retilt the head and give another rescue breath.

3: DO NOT STOP
Continue cycles of CPR.
Do not stop except in one of these situations:
  • You see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.
  • An AED is ready to use. 
  • Another trained responder or EMS personnel take over. 
  • You are too exhausted to continue. 
  • The scene becomes unsafe.

TIP: Any time you see an obvious sign of life, stop CPR and monitor breathing and for any changes in condition.

4:WHAT TO DO NEXT
  • Use an AED as soon as one is available.
  • If breaths do not make the chest rise after retilting the head, give care for unconscious choking.
American Red Cross, face shield, kneel to victims chest, head tilt, mouth to mouth, give breaths

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...