How do I give chest compressions during CPR on an adult?

1: Give compressions by pushing the sternum down at least 2 inches.

• The downward and upward movement should be smooth, not jerky. Push straight down with the weight of your upper body, not with your arm muscles. This way, the weight of your upper body will create the force needed to compress the chest. 
  • Do not rock back and forth. Rocking results in less-effective compressions and wastes much-needed energy. If your arms and shoulders tire quickly, you are not using the correct body position. 

2: After each compression, release the pressure on the chest without removing your hands or changing hand position.

• Allow the chest to return to its normal position before starting the next compression. Maintain a steady down-and-up rhythm and do not pause between compressions. Spend half of the time pushing down and half of the time coming up. 
  • When you press down, the walls of the heart squeeze together, forcing the blood to empty out of the heart. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8a2c521839a5_18177096" title="Chest compression pump heart"]
  • When you come up, you should release all pressure on the chest, but do not take hands off the chest. This allows the heart’s chambers to fill with blood between compressions. 
American Red Cross, heel of hand  on sternum, over heart, hand over hand, interlaced fingers, compress up, pump heart

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...