How should I calm someone having a heart attack?

Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the discomfort. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...