How do I give rescue breaths to an unconscious infant who isn't breathing?

1. Tilt the head back. 
  2. Lift the chin. 
  3. Seal your mouth over the infant’s mouth and nose, and blow in for about 1 second to make the chest rise. 
  4. Pause between breaths long enough for the air in the person to come out and for you to take another breath.

American Red Cross, rescue breathing, open airway, infant, gentle

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...