How do I give rescue breaths to a non-breathing unconscious adult or child?

1. Tilt the head back. 
  2. Lift the chin. 
  3. Pinch the nose shut. 
  4. Make a complete seal over the adult's or child’s mouth, and blow in for about 1 second to make the chest rise.  
  5. Pause between breaths long enough for the air in the person to come out and for you to take another breath.

American Red Cross, rescue breathing, adult, open airway, tilt head, lift chin

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe