How do I give rescue breaths to a non-breathing unconscious adult or child?

1. Tilt the head back. 
  2. Lift the chin. 
  3. Pinch the nose shut. 
  4. Make a complete seal over the adult's or child’s mouth, and blow in for about 1 second to make the chest rise.  
  5. Pause between breaths long enough for the air in the person to come out and for you to take another breath.

American Red Cross, rescue breathing, adult, open airway, tilt head, lift chin

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...