How effective is hands-only CPR?

Every year thousands of lives are saved by family members, emergency personnel, and strangers who know how to use cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) when someone's heart and breathing stops.

Thousands more people might be saved if we all know how to do the hands-only version of CPR. That's right: hands-only CPR. No more mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. In fact, that sometimes off-putting CPR technique is so frequently done incorrectly that hands-only CPR has better success. When folks know the simple hands-only CPR technique, survival rates increase.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...